Thursday, April 15, 2010

What I Want Not What I Don't want


One day years ago when our two youngest boys were in high school, I pulled out of our driveway and realized I wanted to tell them something before I left. Since they were playing in the sport court on the opposite side of our home, I decided to just back my car up the street to talk to them (I wouldn't want to waste precious energy that I would need for shopping to actually walk up there). Gabe's car was parked in the road in front of the court, and all the way while I was driving in reverse, I kept telling myself to be careful and not back into his car. And that is just what I did. I backed right into his car.

Now the moral of that story is to focus on what you want instead of what you don't want. I realized the law of attraction produced what I didn't want but what I was actually focused on. Great lesson for life.

The other sad part of that story is that when Gabe watched me back into his car, he just assumed I was mad at him for something and intentionally did it. Gee, did he think I was a psycho mom? He must have had plenty of evidence to believe I was or maybe he just thought I couldn't be that stupid to hit a parked car. I was probably both--stupid and psycho.

No comments: