Sunday, April 11, 2010

Touching a Hot Stove


Tonight's blog relates to last night's entry. Not only am I a rule keeper, I am also cautious. If someone tells me not to touch the hot stove, I get paranoid and want to stay completely out of the kitchen. I'd rather eat out anyway.

I recognize that sometimes my cautiousness works for me and other times it works against me. I realize that some of the greatest breakthroughs come when someone is willing to take risks even though they might get burned. I have admired people that are willing to get really near a hot stove and make some great contributions in life. I have also watched people keep touching a hot stove and getting burned over and over again. They say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

As with everything in life, there is a usually a delicate balance between being too much or too little of anything. Too much cautiousness is debilitating. Too little cautiousness can be painful. I have come to know that the delicate balance is unique for each of us and that for some it is to move one way and for others it is to move in the other direction. The only way I can know that place is tuning in and tuning up. I do know that I need to be more willing to be a lot less cautious.

No comments: