Thursday, April 29, 2010

Closet Cleanout


Whenever I decide my closet needs some dejunking, I use what I call the Poindexter closet cleanse method. Let me explain with a little story about a good friend of mine.

One day she ran into an old boyfriend who was immaculately dressed, whom we shall call Poindexter (names have been changed to protect the innocent and in honor of the Barbie game). She said that she felt so frumpy in the outfit she had on that she went right home and immediately put that outfit in the D.I. pile.

So now whenever I am trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of, I do the old boyfriend test. Would I want to run into an old boyfriend in that outfit? Now let's be perfectly clear about something. It doesn't mean that I am still interested in that guy or that I really want to impress him. It is just that my pride doesn't want him thinking to himself, "Man, she has really let herself go. Glad I didn't end up with her."

It is time to go through a "Poindexter closet cleanse," and get rid of anything that I don't absolutely love to wear. I also need to make a renewed commitment that I will only buy clothes that I love because let's face it, sometimes I settle and then I wear the ugly clothes just so they won't feel neglected and I won't feel bad that I bought it.

1 comment:

Lisa and Doug said...

Great barometer for clothes!