Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gratitude Reminder


This morning I read in Alma 56 and what was significant to me in that chapter were the positive, hopeful statements that Helaman made in the midst of war. It was a profound reminder for me to once again focus on the positive. It also prompted me to read the March Ensign article about gratitude. In this article, Dr. Worthen said, "Gratitude can have a profound effect on perspective, completely determining or altering the way we look at an experience." To read this was all perfectly timed for me because I have to admit that too much of my focus lately has been on my frustration and resentment for the harm that someone has done to my family. This negative focus has adversely affected my self-improvement quest and I know it is time to acknowledge and ultimately be grateful for the good that can come from all of this and from any difficult situation.

I realize that Heavenly Father can use unrighteous acts to serve his righteous purposes, and I know that He is already blessing our lives. This is the perfect experience for me because I can have the tendency to see the glass half empty but I guess it is a good test for me to really be stretched into seeing a shattered glass and now be able to say, "Gee, look, that piece of cut glass sparkles." I am committed to continuing to work on being grateful because I do have so much to be grateful for. An attitude of gratitude will crowd out the complaining.

The really exciting discovery is that today my shift to gratitude created some feelings of joy for someone who I have watched suffer a tremendous amount of pain.

No comments: