Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Justifying Junk


When I start to dejunk, I can come up with a lot of excuses why I can't get rid of something that isn't really useful and that I don't love anymore.

One of the biggest reasons is that I have spent a lot of time or money on that item even if it is not longer needed. So for some sick reason now I want to keep it so I can have a reminder of how much time and money I wasted on it. Heaven knows I wouldn't want to give it away and let it become useful to someone else, instead I want to keep taking myself on a guilt trip every time I see it.

I can also get magically creative in all the reasons why I can't give something away and why it could suddenly become useful.

I want to hang onto my old wedding dress as a reminder of how much bigger I am now than the day I got married. Or my daughters will develop tacky taste and want to wear it on their wedding day.

I keep half-finished books that I didn't enjoy but hey, when I am trapped in a bomb shelter, I might need something to read.

I hang onto old economic text books in case I get a bad case of insomnia.

I keep clothes that are too small because maybe after living off food storage I will have lost the necessary weight to fit back into them again.

You get the idea. There are times to get creative and there are times to toss. When dejunking, I will not be creative and I will have more trust that someone can use it better than I can, and if I ever need it again, maybe it will find it's way back. I'm going to keep the junk circulating and not store it.

No comments: