Monday, February 22, 2010

Prevention


Eating healthy isn't just about weight loss, it is about living a full life and preventing sickness and early death as much as I can. I plan to live to be at least 100 years old (sorry kids, that means your inheritance will be a long ways off) and so I know that I've got to do as much as I can to stay healthy and active. I love what Dr. Andrew Weil said before Congress about health prevention being the best health insurance. He emphasized the fact that, for example, a mammogram isn't really health prevention, it is just early detection. Health prevention is about living a healthy lifestyle every day not just something I do once a year. Does that mean if I live healthy I can skip the mammogram? Heaven knows how difficult that is. How would you like to try and stretch a mosquito bite under that machine? I'm sorry. Now you have a weird visual image.

Just a side note, my daughter Courtney has been studying natural health with a big emphasis on natural care and prevention. Check out her blog listed at the side of this posting.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I was reading this out loud to Gabe when we got to the mosquito bite part, you should have seen his face.

But I completely agree with you about preventative care.