Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wanting to do it all


The saying, “too many irons in the fire” probably was coined by blacksmiths. It means to be overwhelmed with too many tasks.

Before the introduction of thermometers, blacksmiths had to estimate how pliable the metal was by looking at its color.

The “too many irons in the fire” refers to the problem of putting so many rods into a fire, that that it becomes difficult for the blacksmith to know what stage of heating each piece is at.

The blacksmith could only work so many pieces, before he started wasting his resources. What if a piece of metal got too hot?

There is only so much that I can do and one of my problems is that I want to do it all and over plan but then I get discouraged when I can't meet my own expectations. Sometimes I need to simply and just plan a few wonderful things that I want to focus on. I mean I can't cure cancer AND have time to shop. Sorry folks but the cancer cure will have to be dropped from my priority list.

No comments: