Thursday, August 26, 2010

Open Mindedness


I am learning the value of being open minded. I have discovered that the reason that I have been afraid of open mindedness is because I feared that listening to other ideas or opinions meant that I would thus have to sanction opposing viewpoints and couldn't keep my own beliefs. I can always still have my own beliefs, but in being open minded I can learn about more ideas and viewpoints and come to understand and appreciate other beliefs.

I remember a few years ago when we went to the Manti Pageant with our married student ward, I decided that I wanted to talk to one of the anti-Mormon protesters to understand why he was there. My intention wasn't to argue or debate with him but to be open to what motivated him to want to go out of his way to protest. I learned a lot and came away certainly not agreeing with what he believed or what he was doing, but with greater understanding. It is an ability and practice that I want to improve upon.

No comments: