Saturday, August 14, 2010

Looks can be deceiving


While I was hiking this morning I came across this beautiful patch of green ground cover. After learning the hard way, I now know that this is poison ivy. It grows abundantly in the gully behind our home and our kids and their friends all had miserable rashes because they too were deceived by it's natural beauty. They didn't know the danger of it until too late. We had to learn the hard way.

On our property there is also a natural vine that grows wild and it now covers the fence around our sport court making the court private and naturally beautiful. The leaves on this vine are very similar to the poison ivy leaves and every once in awhile I will spot a sneaky poison ivy plant that is lurking unsuspiciously among those safe leaves. It is the same kind of deceit that the adversary uses.

It is the way with life. That is why a loving Heavenly Father protects us with commandments and directions that can protect us from danger. I would be a fool if I resisted that loving safety.

No comments: