Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reflective Writing


Since I am a big fan of journal writing, I like this discussion about reflective writing which is essentially what deep learning and journal writing is.

"Reflective Writing is a practice in which the writer describes a real or imagined scene, event, interaction, passing thought, memory, or observation in either essay or poetic form, adding a personal reflection on the meaning of the item or incident, thought, feeling, emotion, or situation in his or her life. Many reflective writers keep in mind guiding questions, such as "What did I notice?" "How did this changed me?" or "What might I have done differently?"

"Thus, the focus is on writing that is not merely descriptive. The writer doesn’t just hit the replay button; rather, he or she revisits the scene to note details and emotions, reflect on meaning, examine what went well or revealed a need for additional learning, and relate what transpired to the rest of life."

I find that reflective writing is a much better way to learn than memorization for tests. Reflective questioning when teaching is also a better way to stretch learning than asking a question that just gets a Sunday School answer. I haven't found that the robotic Sunday School answers adequately help when I am in a crisis. It is reflective thinking and writing that has been the best preparation for me.

No comments: