Saturday, November 13, 2010

Purpose


I was talking to someone the other day about what makes the difference for them having the motivation to do well in school. She said if she could see an important purpose in what she was learning, then she is motivated. Having good grades for her wasn't an important enough of a purpose.

I feel like sometimes I have been guilty of seeking a purpose for the things that I do that fall short of a more meaningful purpose. For example, reading the scriptures just so I can check it off a list or say that I have accomplished that isn't as good of a purpose for me as doing because I want to become a better person. I can see that always looking for a constructive purpose that isn't for the praise of man or just to go through the motions should be my higher goal. I think that within all of us is a inherent, God-given need to have a higher purpose in life. I believe educators would do well to honor a student's need to know why it is important that they learn something in school. If there isn't a higher, valuable purpose then maybe some of the subjects or information aren't worthy of our time and should be eliminated from the curriculum.

I am especially grateful for the gospel because it gives me purpose and direction.

No comments: