Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Work on the inside


Just like the hare, I wanted to race ahead and get to the goals in the outer points of the star. See my tendency to not even follow my own advice and sprint without proper warm-up! No wonder I get sore and burnt out! Anyway, I realize I need to slow down and continue to focus on the center of the star and making certain correct principles are deeply planted in my heart.

It is much more beneficial to work from the inside-out because my performance is always easier when my heart is in the right place, and thoughtful study of correct principles helps my heart to change. I know that when I have just focused on changing my behavior before the change of heart that I can only white-knuckle the performance for so long. If I haven't sufficient faith in my heart that I can lose weight, then all the discipline in the world to stop eating Nielson's frozen custard just ain't going to work .

Boyd K. Packer said it best when he said that the study of correct principles will change behavior faster than the study of behavior will. That is because faith in correct principles will change my feelings which will then make it easier to change my behavior.

The most powerful principle I need to embrace is faith. Faith in my Heavenly Father's love for me and His willingness to help me. Faith in correct principles and my ability to apply them. Faith in the power He has given me to overcome and improve.

Just like faith without works is dead, works without faith only creates temporary self-discipline that eventually ends up at the ice cream store!

2 comments:

Lisa and Doug said...

Wow! You are giving me so much to think about. Thank you!

Courtney Allphin said...

I'm glad you are doing a blog! Love it!