Saturday, January 23, 2010

Laying there is good enough


I am still working on the physical point of the star. If you don't know what I am talking about, see my post on January 4th.

As I have mentioned, I have a talent for sleeping. I fall asleep fast, sleep deeply, and don't have trouble getting up out of bed. I credit this magnificent talent to an experience I had while in high school. I had just finished reading the book "In Cold Blood" and starting having trouble going to sleep at night for fear I would be murdered just like that true story. Since I had to get up early for drill team practice (and heaven knows I wanted to be at my peak performance), I would lay there and worry about going to sleep, which only made it even more difficult to fall asleep.

I loved reading the Readers Digest at that time and so it was probably in an article about sleep that I learned that I shouldn't fret over not going to sleep right away because just laying in bed would be enough rest. VOILA, I would just lay there and imagine being murdered but yet still knowing my body was getting enough rest and would get even more rest if indeed I was killed. Eventually all anxiety about sleep was gone and I started to go to sleep quickly. And thanks to the early morning drill team practices, I never developed the usual teenage habit of sleeping in. I now have bad knees and hips from jump splits, but at least I can get an early start hobbling around.

Thanks Truman Capote, Readers Digest, and Lancelles for my talented ability to sleep. (Also, deep gratitude still swells in my heart for the extraordinary opportunity to wear barrel-curled wiglets in Lancelle performances.)

No comments: