Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Choose Words Carefully



I am discovering that I want to eliminate the word “should” from any quest for self-improvement. The word should is defined as being “used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone’s actions.” Thus in using that word, I am guilty of engaging in a form of self-criticism that has an element of control instead of choice. I have often made the mistake of believing that criticism and especially self-criticism is going to be a motivation for change. NOT SO! It is only in staying in an optimistic and hopeful attitude that real change can happen. Instead of declaring I “should” do something, I will use “I am willing” because willing means “to be ready to do something without being forced, it is cooperative and enthusiastic,” Some of the synonyms of willing are eager, keen, enthusiastic, ready, prepared. “I want to do something” is also good because it denotes desire and honors free agency. It is interesting that even just the simple choice of what word I use can either hinder or help my progress.

I am willing to eat healthy (right after I finish these delicious coconut cashews).

1 comment:

Lisa and Doug said...

Tanya,
I am so inspired and motivated by reading YOUR blog every day! Sheesh, I'm glad we are connected again!