Monday, March 8, 2010

Punishment


Yesterday I mentioned punishment. This picture brings back memories of Mr. Bowman's class in 7th grade. Yes, he had a paddle and used it on me several times. For a few of us loud mouths in the class, it became sort of a reward to get to sign our name on the paddle and put checks for each time it was used on us. I was towards the top of my class.

How many times have I sort of punished myself for a mistake thinking that it would motivate me to do better. The truth is, the results of my mistakes are punishment enough; I don't have to add to it.

The same goes for other people in my life. I just need to make sure I am not the one to fix or suffer for someone mistakes. Letting them repair the damage is all the consequence they need. Sorry kids, for ever yelling over spilled milk. I should have just let you clean it up, but no I played the martyr and cleaned it up myself and like the accomplished martyr that I was, I yelled at you instead. If I would have let them clean it up, we both would have been happier. Why is it so much easier to see that now?

I have come to know that Heavenly Father doesn't punish us. He loves us so much that he gives us commandments to protect us from pain. When we break the commandments, it is the natural consequences that punishes us.

No comments: