Monday, July 26, 2010

No Bait and Switch


In my first college life I was a marketing major and I learned about the illegal marketing tool of "bait and switch." For those who don't know what that means (and frankly don't really care) it is when a store will advertise a special price on an item to bait a customer into the store and then purposely not have it available and then proceed to offer another similar item at a higher price.

That is somewhat what happens when we date and then get married. We do a great job "advertising" or "baiting" by trying to look our best and being on our best behavior. Then we get married and "switch" and let our appearances go and turn into nags. It should be illegal and if it were, being the rule keeper that I am, I might have been more cautious about being the kind of person I portrayed myself to be while dating. Instead there was a certain metamorphous on our wedding day, but instead of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly, I was funny girl that turned into a Joan Crowford.

No comments: