Thursday, July 22, 2010

Drawing on the Powers of Heaven


I sometimes think that hardcore addicts have an advantage over the rest of us who just have addictions but can still qualify for a temple recommend. Addictions such as chocolate, shopping, gossiping, judging, nose picking, etc., don't seem to qualify for the big guns. Since I am duped into thinking that my addiction isn't that serious, then I don't often realize the need to "turn it over to a higher power," as documented in the 12-step program. I am then led to believe that it isn't that bad and that certainly with a little will power, I can overcome it on my own. I then can go years being "insane" and "doing the same thing and expecting different results," because that is the definition of insanity.

An addiction, however, that is less accepted in our culture becomes more obvious that extra help is needed and therefore, those addicts might come to know the necessity and benefits of drawing on the powers of heaven. I am committed to recognizing that any change I want to make will depend on the power of prayer and drawing on the powers from heaven.

No comments: