Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Repentence-Mercy & Grace


I have discovered that the closer I try and get to my Heavenly Father, the more I see my sins and imperfections and the more I have to repent for.

Like I have been discussing in the last few posts, I have discovered how wrong it is to have such high expectations, then try to control others to meet those expectations, and then be frustrated and even mad when those expectations aren't met. But it is good to recognize where I have gone wrong because then it helps me know that I need to repent.

I have discovered that being forgiven is really a two step process. The first step is the forgiveness that I can feel through the mercy that is granted because of my Savior's atonement. The second step is the grace, which is the enabling power from God, that makes it possible to change habits that might still linger even though I have felt forgiven. Once I have prayed for and received His mercy, I now know that I need to continue to pray for His grace in order to really change.

It is extremely empowering to keep my need for change with the only person I can change and that is ME.

No comments: