Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day


I am wondering if Dad's have the same guilt reaction to Father's Day as Mothers can sometimes have for Mother's Day? As I was sitting in church today, I started to wonder if our church service on Mother's and Father's Day should be divided into two groups of people. The first group could be parents just starting out, and then the talks can be geared to all the wonderful things they can do as parents as inspiration. This group could also be parents whose kids are raised that did it right and then they can bask in their success.

The second group would be parents that have already raised their kids and then the talks could be based on letting people feel like their mistakes weren't so bad. For the first group of new parents to hear the second group's message that their mistakes weren't a big deal could make them less motivated to do their very best as parents. But when the second group of parents hear the first group's message about what they should have done but didn't, then it can create a lot of guilt and regret. I'm just glad I'm old and I can't remember enough to know if I should feel guilty.

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Lanae said...

Or....have a missionary leaving and have no guilt. :D Thanks Tanya for the great laugh. I read every day even if I don't make comments. You are the BEST!!!