Saturday, September 4, 2010

No More Excuses


Let's be honest here. I am good at making excuses but one of the weirdest excuses I make is thinking I have to be sick to give myself an excuse to lay around and read. A week ago I indulged in a sick gratification in the fact that I am suppose to lay with my leg elevated part of the day because it gives me an excuse to read.

Okay so if that is the case and I have to have an excuse to do something like reading, then could it be possible that unconsciously I could create an illness so that I have an excuse? Wouldn't it be easier to just give myself permission to sometimes lay around and read? To do so would mean I would have to change a sick belief that it is a waste of time to relax with a good book. There, I am now changing that belief. My new belief is that it is a valuable use of time to read books that capture and enlighten my imagination as well as books that inform, and I give myself permission to do that as long as I a maintaining a healthy balance in all areas of my life. That last part is to guarantee that I don't go too extreme in the other direction because that is sometimes what I do.

No comments: