Monday, April 30, 2012

Gratitude not Pride

I finally get it. Ezra Taft Benson taught years ago to beware of pride. Later some people said it was okay to be proud of your efforts or proud of your children, but after studying the science of gratitude, I realize that what I should really feel is gratitude. Positive psychologist have concluded that gratitude affects well-being, and it has been found that gratitude is being grateful for something outside of ourselves and not in what we can do or who we are. It has come to me that pride is unintentionally implying that the buck stops here and I deserve to take credit for the good. Instead of saying that I am proud, saying I am grateful acknowledges that all good comes from someone or something else, and ultimately comes from God. I won't take credit anymore and declare that I am proud of something or someone, I want to give credit to others and especially to my Heavenly Father so I will say I am grateful. Go ahead and slap me if I try to take credit and say I am proud.

No comments: