Friday, April 6, 2012

Expert Friends

I just wanted to share a little tidbit I have learned from a positive psychology coaching class I am taking. One intervention that helps increase our happiness is to find an expert friend to help us achieve our goals.

One such expert friend" of mine is a friend from college. Thank heavens for facebook and blogs that can keep us in touch. Anyway, for me she is such an expert friend. I recently read on her blog how she has been running for 5 miles a day and isn't sore. Mind you, she is my age and so I can't use age as an excuse for running that long. Besides, I realized that if I can swim laps for an hour and do Zumba also for an hour, I should be able to run for an hour, which at 5 miles per hour is 5 miles. (Gee, good for me, I can do math a little better than the You Tube video about the husband aaking his wife how long it takes to go 80 miles driving at 80 miles per hour. See video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk

So today I did it. It felt good and I am ever so grateful for inspiring friends that push me beyond what I think I can do. Thanks Lisa.

If you also want to be inspired by Lisa's Daughter, I suggest you watch her touching video on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=WLDC19787DC0E9D569&feature=player_detailpage&v=UXOffc_s2Xw

1 comment:

Lisa and Doug said...

It is very startling to look at a friend's blog and find your own face staring at you......... Good for you! If only we could run those 5 miles together! Although....it's hard to run when you are laughing!