Sunday, August 2, 2015

Do What You Love

There is an interesting phenomenon about girls. When taking a self assessment test, they want to look on another person's paper to see how they are answering it. I tend to believe it is because girls by nature are nurturing and outward focused. In being of service to others, this is a good thing. But in finding out who we are, what our individual purpose is, and what we love to do, it is a big distraction and can lead us off course.

I remember when I was in college for the first time. You know, back when Plato and Socrates were roaming the earth.  I looked around and saw what most people were majoring in. Business. Now you have to know me. I don't have a business mind. I did loving accounting and statistics because I love numbers (can you say nerd?) but I detested my  economics, finance, and managerial classes. I knew that if I saved my economics textbooks I wouldn't ever have trouble going to sleep. They could be my sleeping pill. Read a chapter and I'm out. Actually it wouldn't take the whole chapter, just a few sentences.

And speaking of economics, don't be deceived if you are good at something. One of my economics professors said I had a real gift for it and I should major in it. What? And sleep through my entire college career?

No, business wasn't my passion. It wasn't until I went back to college after my youngest got into first grade and I was free of nagging my kids during the entire day, that I started to study my true love. Human development. It was an interest and passion that I had cues about when I was young. The first self help book I read in high school--Spiritual Roots of Human Relationships By Stephen R. Covey made my heart sing (more evidence of a nerd). Give me a little study of what makes a person tick and sprinkle in spirituality and my heart is belting it out like the Tabernacle Choir.

So I say, listen to my heart and do what I love and love what I do.    

No comments: