Saturday, August 8, 2015

Just Professing or Actually Practicing?

In reading the book The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, her statement that, "important differences between professing love and practicing love" was a beautiful epiphany for me and makes me think about the many ways that it is not enough to just profess something but always taking it to the next level and actually practice it. By definition, the word practice is the actual application of an idea or belief.

In the spiritual realm-I can profess my love of God but if I am not practicing that love it is just like the scripture says, "faith without works is dead." My works certainly don't save me; only the atonement of my Savior can do that. But practicing living His commandments, especially loving others, helps me feel His divine and constant love and draws me closer to Him and increases my gratitude for His life and sacrifice in my behalf.

In the physical realm-I can sit here and eat chocolate bon bons and type in my blog about the importance of being physically healthy and intellectually know all the ways to take good care of my body; but unless I actually get up and get moving and actually eat all those good foods that I have put on my pinterest board (novel idea), I won't benefit.

In the mental realm-I can say over and over how much more I know it is important to continue learning and reading, but unless I devote time to actually practice an intellectual pursuit, just professing its benefits won't do me any good.

In the emotional realm-I know how beneficial gratitude and I can profess that all the day long, but I have to practice gratitude by actually thinking, writing, and expressing gratitude. I have to work at developing my gratitude muscles.

In the social realm-I can profess my love to others but actually practicing love takes it to a whole new level. It is in the little things that I exercise my love. I love this quote found in the book by Bell Hooks, "To begin by always thinking of love as an action rather than a feeling is one way in which anyone using the word in this manner automatically assumes accountability and responsibility."

Isn't it interesting that practice takes discipline and that disciple is a root of the word. Time to take action and go practice. Time to get disciplined so I can be a better disciple of Christ.




No comments: