Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I love to learn


I am passionate about learning and some of the greatest knowledge I gained in my second life of college was that preparing and taking tests didn't have the impact on me that deep learning through discussions, writing, and service learning requirements did. I feel like our education system's emphasis on standardized testing doesn't really tap the kind of creative problem solving and deep understanding that is more essential to capture the both love of learning and our innate genius.

Let's be honest here, with taking tests, sometimes the difference between an A student and a F student is that the F student forgets the material before the test and the A student forgets it after the test. For me, the greatest test of a good teacher and educational system is: do they ignite a love of learning? Once the love of learning is sparked then they will learn for a lifetime.

No comments: