Monday, January 26, 2015

Enter into the Rest of the Lord

Lately while reading the scriptures, the words "Rest in the Lord" keep jumping out at me. So I know that it is important for me to reflect on what that means.

The word "rest" means relaxed, not agitated or troubled, at peace.

I am grateful for lds.org that offers a wealth of enlightenment. I quote from Joseph F. Smith:

 "What does it mean to enter into the rest of the Lord? Speaking for myself, it means that through the love of God I have been won over to Him, so that I can feel at rest in Christ, that I may no more be disturbed by every wind of doctrine, by the cunning and craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; and that I am established in the knowledge and testimony of Jesus Christ, so that no power can turn me aside from the straight and narrow path that leads back into the presence of God, to enjoy exaltation in His glorious kingdom; that from this time henceforth I shall enjoy that rest until I shall rest with Him in the heavens."

There is peace in turning my life over to God. To trust Him that no matter what happens, I am unconditionally loved and can be rescued from any mistake or misfortune. It doesn't mean I live my life recklessly, but that I can have confidence that with His help I can survive and overcome all things. To know that His promise is sure that when we partner with Christ it is true when he says, “My yoke is easy and my burden is light,” [Matthew 11:30]. I can rest assured that all will be well so I can relax and let go of any up tightness I might feel falsely thinking I am in charge or it is all up to me. Of course, I still do my part and work diligently so that my side of the yoke isn't dragging. But that I always remember my team member is infinitely strong, so I can enter into the "rest of the Lord," and strive to do my best but without agitation or trouble.   


No comments: