Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mercy

 2 Nephi 10:2-This scripture hadn't been marked until today. How had I missed the profound message of this scripture before? This morning I had said a little silent prayer that I would read something that would be important for me to know, and then I opened my scriptures and read this. It was a message just for me that obviously had just been added to my scriptures (kind of crazy how that happens). It is a message that says I can relax and know that God is merciful and that those I love will "come to that which will give them the true knowledge of their Redeemer." It is not a journey that can be forced. It is not a journey that is on my timetable. It is a journey that is dependent on God's mercy.

I have had a firm witness that my mercy and love will be one of the small ways that can help others understand and appreciate the infinite and perfect mercy of the Savior and thus the true knowledge of Him. It is nice to know that being merciful isn't really a lot of hard work. It isn't a exhausting checklist that needs to be followed. It is just relaxing into love--feeling God's love and compassion and letting that love consume my very being in such a profound way that it crowds out any feelings of regret or resentment and fills me with compassion.

I have this definition of mercy pasted in my scriptures.

"Mercy. That benevolence, mildness or tenderness of heart which disposes a person to overlook injuries, or to treat an offender better than he deserves; the disposition that tempers justice, and induces an injured person to forgive trespasses and injuries, and to forbear punishment, or inflict less than law or justice will warrant. In this sense, there perhaps no word in our language precisely synonymous with mercy. That which comes nearest to it is grace. It implies benevolence, tenderness, mildness, pity or compassion, and clemency, but exercised only towards offenders. Mercy is a distinguishing attribute of the Supreme Being." Author Unknown

May I always be filled with mercy and love. A hard thing for someone who thrives on sarcasm, has a critical eye, and has an exquisite memory for past hurts. But let's hope God can work miracles even with a reprobate like me. I am grateful that I have been given unique opportunities to feel and understand God's mercy in such a profound way. I have been given sacred learning experiences that were specially designed for my growth. Yes, I have my own Spiritual Designer.

No comments: