Thursday, March 24, 2011

I'm uncomfortable with people who hate


I am currently attending the University of Utah and consider myself a Ute fan. However, I am not a fan of hating another school or team. I have seen friendly rivalry which I can appreciate, but I have also seen rivalry that seems hateful. I can enjoy fun-spirited rivalry, but I am really uncomfortable when people take it to a level that seems vicious. I am uncomfortable with this church billboard that seems to declare a hate for a school instead of promoting their own preferred school. Maybe their intention was to just have some fun and so I realize that I shouldn't be quick to criticize. I am just saying I feel uncomfortable with it.

The same goes for politics. I don't care what political persuasion anyone is. I like to hear the positive things people stand for instead of taking shots at the opposing viewpoint. In hearing other people out, we might all learn to understand each other and hopefully care a little more about seeing people as people if there was a little more understanding for different viewpoints. I'm uncomfortable with all the hate and mudslinging.

Today I also learned a valuable lesson from my daughter. Let us all stand up for what we think is right without focusing on or judging what choices other people make. To promote what I believe doesn't mean I should tear down nor condemn what someone else believes or does.

Sorry. I will get off my soap box.

No comments: