Monday, March 31, 2014

How to Rise Above Discouragement

In the middle of the night, I awoke feeling overwhelmed with discouragement. In the dark, it is easy to feel hopeless. The sunshine does offer the symbolic light and without it, it can feel so depressing.

It is sometimes easy; okay, it is just downright easy and natural to want to blame other people for that discouragement.  The only power I have to overcome those dark feelings is to quit blaming other people and take the necessary accountability to put the responsibility in my court. I start to feel renewed possibilities and hope as I see what I can change and what I can do to make my life better.

I have said this over and over again. When I focus on and blame other people or circumstances for my unhappiness, I give away my power. I can't repent for someone's sins but I can proactively deal with my own. And if the truth be known, sometimes they aren't really sins, just mistakes that provide the learning experiences that I need to grow.  It is only then that the light starts to shine again and I feel renewed hope.


No comments: