Saturday, July 18, 2020

Never too late to change

Last night I listened to Roselyn Christensen’s funeral and was moved to tears and truly inspired. She was, without a doubt, a remarkable woman who influenced me in a multitude of ways. Funerals can be a great source of inspiration to be and do better. But if I am not careful, and only look back on my life instead of looking forward, listening to the stories of a well-lived, ambitious and faithful life can make me feel inadequate and stir up feelings of regret. I mean, this woman was “Mother of the Year” in 1990. I have often jokingly claimed that I was mother of the year in some random year when introducing myself when giving a speech somewhere, but this woman really was! 


At almost 65, I could think most of my life is behind me and feel like I have missed out on many opportunities that people such as Roselyn so beautifully took advantage of. Just listening to the musical experiences and the more than a dozen musical instruments found in their home, filled me with a sense that my family was woefully cheated. And those discouraging feelings can sabotage any ambition in the present moment.  


I am grateful for an eternal perspective that gives me hope that there is plenty of time for growth. That I can start right where I am and make changes that can bleed into eternity. Maybe I start with buying a drum set. Kev will love our grandkids banging on that. Thank you Roselyn for such a beautiful life and for your continued source of inspiration. And thank you to her children who were able to convey the lasting influence she had on them  and the love she offered to 10 accomplished children. 


May I also reference the hopeful message contained in Alma 23-29 about a blood thirsty people who changed dramatically to being a meek and faithful people. There is always hope for us. Change and new growth is always possible.


No comments: