Sunday, July 26, 2020

It’s for your own good

As I read scriptures, it is helpful to ask myself questions about what I am reading to discover what I might also be guilty of. When I read “they began to be offended because of the strictness of the word” (Alma 35:15), I asked myself, in what ways am I sort of offended or bothered by some truth that I don’t want to comply with? As I sort of have had a struggle with adhering to a healthy eating regiment, I realize that I am bothered by the fact that to be truly healthy at my age, a stricter eating protocol is necessary. No longer can I get away with such a permissive diet like I got use to in my younger years. Back in the day, I could eat leftover pizza right before bed and I could eat ice cream like it was going out of style and not seem to suffer any great consequences. And now I look at the negative results of a permissive diet and I am a little peeved that I can’t have my ice cream AND a healthy outcome. 


In this world, it can be tempting to think we can do just what we want without restriction. But the “strictness of the word” means that there is a certain amount of denial that is necessary to have positive outcomes. We cannot have just eat, drink, and be merry and not expect the consequences to follow. The “strictness of the word” actually gives us more freedom in the long run. It has lasting benefits. So I give up the immediate gratification of junk food and live what seems like a strict healthy eating plan described in D & C 89, and then I can enjoy better health. It is vital that I just comply and not be offended nor complain about the restriction to try to justify my bad habits. Easier said than done.  


No comments: