Saturday, July 25, 2020

Lessons learned from quarantine


I have learned something profound from the quarantine. It has revealed to me how many of the things I normally do that I have obviously done out of habit, or out of duty that must not be that important or beneficial to me because when the restrictions started lifting, I have to admit, I was kind of sad that I might now be expected to do those things again (whether that expectation was coming internally or externally, I am not always sure). I realize I still longed for the excuse not to do them. I found the quarantine actually set me free in some ways. It has now made me want to re-evaluate what is important to me and given me permission to eliminate those things that obviously I didn’t want to do in the first place but only felt compelled to do them. Or at least do them differently and most likely, in a simpler way.  


I also think we have learned a lot about self-reliance and preparedness and how to be alone without being lonely. I have also certainly rediscovered the simple pleasures of the staying- -at-home projects such as cooking, gardening, reading, puzzles, sewing, organizing, etc. In essence, I have learned that I have a choice—either I complain or I get creative and find solutions that can make my life better. 


With that said, I want to be careful that I don’t eliminate service and sacrifices that are beneficial to bless other people, especially being considerate of those whose circumstances aren’t as privileged as mine are. But I will be more thoughtful about what is essential and what is just doing to be doing because someone told me I should or because I have erroneously put that expectation on myself to feel busy and important. I also don’t want to be caught up in doing it to just look good to desperately prove to myself and others that I am worthy. Like actually washing my hair wearing uncomfortable clothes instead of being content with nappy hair and wearing sweats all day🤪


No comments: