Thursday, April 27, 2017

I am a talented sleeper

I am a talented sleeper. As with any talent, it takes practice. Here is what I have done to acquire this amazing ability.

1. I don't drink caffeine and I never use sleeping pills.

2. I try and go to bed (about 10 pm) and get up (about 5 am) at close to the same time every day; even weekends.

3. I don't use an alarm but wake up naturally.

4. I don't watch TV in bed and I rarely read in bed. Trying to read in bed is fruitless for me because I am so programmed to sleep when I get in bed that I doze off too quickly.

5. If I have trouble falling asleep, I just relax and focus on my breath. I don't stress about falling asleep and just acknowledge that laying there is good enough. If I still take too long falling asleep, I will get up and read or write.

6. If I get tired during the day, I will take a power nap for only 10-15 minutes. I just lay on a couch with lights on, but never in my bed.

7. I talk to my Heavenly Father before I get into bed and sometimes while I am drifting off to sleep.

There you have it. Sometimes I wish I had musical talents but have realized that a great ability to sleep is a precious gift. It just doesn't come in handy at a talent show.

No comments: