Friday, October 2, 2015

Beware of Pride

I love this quote by Audrey Hepburn's mother. “I can really take no credit for any talent that Audrey may have. If it’s real talent, it’s God-given. I might as well be proud of a blue sky, or the paintings in the Flemish exhibition at the Royal Academy.” —her mother, Baroness Ella van Heemstra Hepburn- Ruston

I remember years ago in a Sunday School class after President Benson's talk on pride and his statement that there is no such thing as righteous pride, and in our discussion we tried to claim that being proud of our children is okay.

This quote by the Baroness (somehow that title offers more credibility, doesn't it?) puts that kind of pride in perspective. Being proud of something means we are taking credit for it. Isn't it better to just be grateful to Heavenly Father because anything good in our life is due to His generous offerings to us.

From now on, I want to declare gratitude instead of pride.

Just a side note. After writing this I just happened to read Helaman 13:22 in my sequential reading.  "Ye do not remember the Lord you God in the things with which he hath blesssed you, but ye do always remember your riches, not to thank the Lord your God for them; yea, your hearts are not drawn out unto the Lord, but they do swell with great pride, unto boasting..."

It never ceases to amaze me how timely the messages in the scriptures are for which I am tremendously grateful.

No comments: